So yeah, my Darling wife went on a trip to California this week. [and I'm only a little jealous] She made it back on Friday in just enough time to drop everything and crawl in bed. [pretty sure that she passed out on the way to the pillow] What in the world did she do with the kids, you ask? Well she left them home with me, of course. Yes we were here, even though we didn't answer the phone. I guess that is the first thing that I check off the list if I have too much going on. [Aside from the fact that everyone that calls here wants to talk to Katie anyway...] When Katie and I were engaged my Bishop told us a story about he and his wife that seem to be applicable right now.
His wife had scheduled a night out with some of the girls and had requested that he be available to "take care of the kids." [take note of the verbiage used there] He spent the evening playing with the kids and upon her return that night she was surprised to find that the house was a mess, none of the kids were bathed, and the heap of laundry hadn't diminished in the least. If anything, it appeared to have been involved in some kind of abnormal indoor hurricane. She asked him why he the house looked like this, why the kids were not bathed, "What in the world?" [that was my understanding anyway]
As you might have guessed, there was a slight miscommunication in what his wife had expected and the actual events that transpired that night. She expected that he would do all of the things that she would have done if she had been home that night. (bathing of children, un-heaping of laundry, cleaning of housen, doing of dishen) [little Brian Regan reference for you] In the husband's rebuttal he stated that he'd done as she asked and had taken care of the kids. He'd played with them, watched a movie, made sure that no one needed stitches or a cast of any kind. He stated that when she asked him to take care of the kids, his intrepretation was very literal. "Take care." He'd done the basics and kept the kids out of mortal danger. So in his mind the evening was a success. He'd won the war!
Keeping that story in mind, my wife has come to the understanding that I am a simple creature. If she wants me to do something specific, she will tell me. [As she can attest, this can, but does not necessarily apply to presents or gifts of any kind. I feel like it removes the suprise from the experience.] Every once in a while she starts to believe that I have the ability to know what she is thinking. [Sadly this is not the case] This generally ends with her feeling disappointed and me feeling confused. Thankfully, this week was not one of those times of expectant psychic abilities. She left me a list. [Of which I referenced often]
Needless to say, I have a newfound appreciation for everything that my wife does. I have no idea how she keeps up most of the time.
3 years ago


1 comments:
Go superdad! You rock. We need to get together sometime so kids can play and we can mingle and eat and eat!
Post a Comment